Saturday, July 11, 2009

Off to the Hot Place!

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone's fourth was full of fun and pyromania. This post is going to have to be short because we just finished a clinic again in Palencia yesterday and tomorrow we are going to leave at 5:50 am to head to our next clinic which we will have a 6 hour drive, 30 min boat ride, and 1 4x4 ride to "the hot place." I went on this same type clinic last year which was the one with the crazy mud and jungle type conditions with monsoon rain. It might be raining, it might be hot, it might be humid. You never know. What we do know is we will be doing clinics for three days at the hot place and possibly painting as well. The clinics in Palencia went well; I re-earned my spot at intake because I picked up the pace a little bit, but I don't know what I will be doing for this next one. My Spanish is still improving and I have learned such new words as "oozing," "secreting," "open sores," "udders," and other very useful conversation pieces.

Just a fun and amazing little fact. At our second clinic in Concepcion when we went back for three days we had a pastor's training and a VBS. During that time, several hundred kids came to the VBS, and around 700 people came for medical, dental, or vision treatment. PRAISE GOD! A lot of people heard the Gospel as well, and we hope that our work there made an impact on them to understand the love of God. 700 people is a whole lot of people for only 3 days under an organization comprised of only 5 people on the staff payroll. It is amazing what God can allow us to accomplish down here.

Personally, I have been having a lot of convicting revelations recently about various weaknesses in my life. It has been difficult, but I think they are very important lessons for me to learn, and ways for me to learn more about the necessity of an ever closer relationship with God.

Anyways, please pray for us as we go on this next adventure. The clinics to these places are the more tiring ones, but these people will not get any medical or dental care if we don't go there. Thanks again for all the continuing prayers. While I love this country and these people, I'm definitely starting to miss my peeps in the states! God bless and remember to scrub behind your ears.

Tenga cuidado de los ubres, (Be careful of the udders),

Justin

(I'm trying to practice my new Spanish vocabulary)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for being good about posting on your blog. I look for ways I can pray for you! Blessings to you as you serve the Lord and encourage those who you are coming alongside!

    Verse for you today: Psalm 139:9-10
    If I rise on the wings of the dawn, If I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me fast.

    No matter what part of the world you find yourself living in, as long as you are living in God's will, you are "at home".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome experience Justin. I'm teaching Kinder at my church's VBS this week and had to smile when you said 700? kids. We feel overwhelmed with 200 or so wow! How great that you're immersed in Spanish also. That's the best way and you know you'll be using it. For now, Hasta lo juego! in blog anyway! With a prayer~ Cousin Julie

    ReplyDelete